Originally Posted by Big7BenHOF
For the past two years, my family and I have traveled out from California to Pittsburgh to go to a Steelers game each year for my birthday. However, it was fairly expensive and we're not sure if we can afford it this year. We might, however, be able to attend Training Camp in Latrobe this year. I have a few questions that I'd greatly appreciate some answers to.
1. When are the dates for camp announced? Not sure, but I think the practices fans can go to are Mid July.
2. How can I get access to tickets? I went 3 years ago. No tickets, just show up with your camera. It was free then.
3. Where would I usually fly into? Pit is probably the cheapest from CA. It's about an hour from Latrobe. Latrobe does have an airport. (LBE) I believe Northwest goes there. If you can get on that you may have to do a double connect and it might be expensive, but it's almost walking distance to St. Vincent. I mean literally a mile.
4. What's the closest hotel? Probably, Mountain View Inn.5 minutes away. It's old and dated, but you should be able to get a room for under $100. If you want to stay about 10-15 minutes away you can stay in Greensburg or New Stanton. Probably can priceline a decent 2 or 3 star for $50-$60 a night.
5. Where are the areas in the camp to get autographs? Not sure. They rope off the field. I know you can try to get the players as they leave the field.
Any information such as that would be helpful, seeing as that we're trying to get this trip planned as soon as we can. Thank you.
Lastly, Just my 2 cents. I think the biggest part of your spend on the trip would be the flight. I'm sure we'll have a monday night game this year based on winning the SuperBowl. You can get Monday night games for close to face value because many season ticket holders don't come in and take 2 days off work to go to the game.
I'd think about going to a game if your coming all that way. Training camp is nice, but there's nothing like a game.