View Single Post
Old 05-02-2005, 06:00 AM   #4
acrossthepond
Water Boy

Member Number: 368
Default Re: Roster Battles.....

My thoughts . . .

Right tackle
. . . Essex doesn't appear to be ready for a year or two . . . Brooks isn't the answer at RT . . . We'd better hope Starks is good enough (I reckon he will be on what I've seen and heard) and doesn't get injured . . .
If Starks gets injured, I can see us moving Simmons (he was a tackle in college) out to RT, Hartings to RG and Okobi to Center. Or if that doesn't work, Smith to RT , Faneca to LT etc. . . could be messy like 03 . . .

The other names to watch for at Guard is Jim Jones . . .

WR - The other battle to note is which WR will be cut? They won't keep more than 6 (including Morey) . . . so do we lose Wilson (Only if he stinks - contract is too big to cut this year), El (not in a million years unless injured), so that leaves Gibson, Cobb and Mays (the likely odd man out imo, but he has shown flashes)

TE - Miller and Tuman are locks to make the roster . . . so do we keep Cushing (our backup FB unless Herron, Tuiasopopo or Kuhn step up as FB) or Kranchik (intriguing) . . . and then there's always Rasby and Battaglia who are both serviceable as 3rd TEs. . . .

Safety - I'd hate to see them lose McKeesport Mike Logan (remember he signed here for less money cos he wanted to be a Steeler - despite knowing he'd be a backup) . . . and he can play both safety spots and is a pretty good nickel/ dime back and blitzer . . . Stuvaints and Carter both look good too . . . I'd leave it as a battle between STuvaints and CArter personally, but I know Logan is in there fighting for his life too . . .

LB - Harrison will need to show as 10 or 20% better than Haggans just cos of contract . . . if only a very slight upgrade Haggans (on starters money) keeps his job . . . I love Harrison's attitude . . . and at risk of repeating myself, I'd really love to see Chad Brown on the outside and Harrison battling Foote inside . . .

CB . . . I'd put Ike in as a battler for CB with Williams and Colclough . . . I don't think they'd put McFadden in for another year (can you remember any other CBs drafted who started in their rookie year under Cowher?) . . .

RB
The battle here is more to do with Roster spots than starting order . . . it's going to be Duce . . . Bus . . . then either Verron or Willie, with Noah Herron and maybe even John Kuhn battling those two for the #3 and#4 spots . . . they'll not want to lose any promising RBs if they can help it for next year after the Bus actually retires . . . they won't keep more than 4 of these even so . . .

There's players at each of these positions Id hate to lose (except for Tackle!) should be an interesting camp
acrossthepond is offline   Reply With Quote