View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #24
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,056 Times in 3,445 Posts
Default Re: Pittsburgh Style Steak question.

i havent tried the pittsburgh steak yet but came close.

anyone ever have tri-tip steaks? i guess its a california thing and you rarely see the roast cut into steaks.

those not on the west coast usually have to have the butcher cut it for them, or do it themselves, (most butchers just use it for hamburger or stew meat which oughtta be a sin).

its super tender, not fatty, and im thinking only about 3 lbs per cow.

Quote:
The tri-tip roast or steak (also called a triangle roast) is the 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 pounds of meat that sits at the bottom of the sirloin. Not only does it have a great flavor, but also tends to be lower in fat than most other cuts, so it's a good lean cut. Of course this means that it can dry out faster, but with a good marinade you really can't go wrong with this cut.
(had to check)

i found a nice 2 1/2 ponder for $3/pound that was about an inch and a half to 2 inches thick.

marinade in worchestishire, kik-o-man, with lots of garlic powder, chopped dried onion, and thyme.

threw it on the grill and charred the outside leaving a good portion of the middle medium rare and slightly bleeding just a bit, with just enough well done and crispy to sop up all the juices.

absolutely delicious! i still havent found a steak chain that cooks em as good as i do.

plus, since i cut it in half, it it was 24 oz. for $3.50, and would make me cringe at buying filet mignon again (and i loves me some filet).