Old 03-28-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: Penn State Football Thread

http://altoonamirror.com/page/conten....html?nav=5017
Paterno has no worries when it comes to Lee
By Matt Herb,sports@altoonamirror.com

UNIVERSITY PARK - If nothing else, Joe Paterno knows what to expect from one facet of his defending Big Ten champion football team. That facet's name: Sean Lee.

Paterno said Friday, just before heading to Holuba Hall for the Nittany Lions' second practice of the spring, he isn't planning on pushing the fifth-year senior linebacker to the limit.

"Lee doesn't have to prove anything to us," he said. "We know that he's a football player."

Labeled "one of the best kids I've ever coached" by Paterno, Lee missed the 2008 season after the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee was torn last April while he was chasing quarterback Daryll Clark during spring drills. The 2007 All-American said his surgically repaired and extensively rehabbed knee has been feeling normal again for about the past month and a half, and he's eager to start hitting.

"I'm going to do seven-on-seven, agility drills, linebacker drills," Lee said "I'm going to do whatever they tell me to do. And whatever drill I do, I'm going to do 100 percent. If they want to take me out, they'll take me out."

It appears the coaches do indeed plan on having him give way when contact is involved. Said Paterno, "We've got some young kids that we've got to find out some things about."

Lee aside, there's a lot to be learned about this squad this spring, and not just at linebacker. Penn State has lost six starters on offense and seven on defense, as well as four-year starting kicker Kevin Kelly. Graduation hit the Lions especially hard on the offensive line and at the receiver and defensive back positions.

The secondary will be one of the team's primary concerns with four starters gone. The Lions have a potential rising star in safety Drew Astorino, and veteran cornerback A.J. Wallace returns as well, but even so, the Lions are anxious to see what they've got.

"We've got to get a secondary that can stand on its own two feet," Paterno said. "That's one of the big jobs we have."

On offense, Paterno said the Lions will try to avoid scaling back their plans, even with three new starters manning the offensive line and Graham Zug, Brett Brackett, Derrick Moye and Chaz Powell vying to replace standout receivers Deon Butler, Derrick Williams and Jordan Norwood.

"We're not going to go into it with the idea it's going to affect us. We're going to try to do the things we've done," Paterno said. "A lot of those kids have been around. We've got a quarterback who's been there. And of the wideouts, Zug has played a lot of football and Brackett knows what's going on. Powell has played some. Moye has not played a lot, but he's been around. So I wouldn't want to change a lot. But we'll do what we have to do. If it doesn't work out that way and we have to go back to the single-wing, we'll go back to the single-wing."

Clark said the Nittany Lions have been driven during the winter and the start of spring practice by memories of their lopsided 38-24 loss to USC in the Rose Bowl.

"We kind of forgot about it, but we didn't forget about it, if you know what I mean," Clark said. "That's been motivation. The national championship is going to be out at the Rose Bowl this year, and that's everyone's goal. We've gotten a lot of the young guys in tune with what we're trying to accomplish this year, and it showed in winter workouts."

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote