Old 03-31-2009, 02:12 PM   #12
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghp8baller View Post
whats another month or two? the pirates are very slow out of the gate, why put him through that? he will be up my late may and that way we still get an extra year before we have to offer him a contract. Kind of what the Rays did with Longoria and what Baltimore is doing with Matt Wietters.

i doubt Morgan starts the year as the starter, Craig Monroe will probably see the majority of the at-bats in left field until McCutchen. I dont see Bixler as a potential starter but more as a bench/platoon player. if the Pirates were smart they were sign Wilson to at least a one more year extention to give Brian Friday or Jordy Mercer another year or two. But we all know how cheap the pirates are and more than likely the Pirates will start next year with Bixler as the Shortstop and not add any1 at all.

at shortstop were u talking about jarek cunningham or jordy mercer? i know cunningham was one of the top high school shortstops but his stock dropped after an injury cut short his year. i know Mercer was one of the top college shortstop and played on team USA in one of the world championship tournaments (maybe even the olympics). id have to say one of the Beckman's (no relation) were the top two shortstops in the draft, even though Gordon Beckman is most likely switching to second.

i hope this year we go after Dustin Ackley from UNC. big time bat at first base, which we really lack in the system. im pretty sure we pick fourth so we will be there as the three teams before us are expected to go pitching first. if somehow Stephen Strasburg drops to us that would finally give us a bonafide top of the rotation prospect, but there is no way because everyone ahead of us could use a number 1
You're right, but I've been waiting 4 years to see this kid roam PNC Park and he's clearly shown this spring that he's ready for the big time. Why not keep him here? He's clearly a better option and player than Morgan, and Moss for that matter. And if he's been the best defensive player in camp, even better than their Gold Glove CF...I mean, it's a no-brainer. Screw the extra year - he needs to be here right now.

I was talking about Mercer that they drafted last year, the top college SS prospect. I hope he develops quickly, because though Bixler showed improvement this spring, I'm not ready to go forward with him as the starter once Jack moves on. As for drafting Ackley, considering that we have ZERO bona-fide 1B prospects in the system (unless they do decide to move Alvarez to first, which they have considered), then it's a no-brainer that they take him. I would draft him even ahead of Strasburg if he were to fall, because I think they're grooming Lincoln to eventually be their top of the rotation starter.