View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 07:40 AM   #19
trauben
Bench Warmer

Location: City of reigning Super Bowl and Stanley Cup Champions!!!
Member Number: 7929
Default Re: Teaching a child to drive

I survived.

After sitting in the DMV offices for over two hours waiting to get the permit Saturday morning, I ended up taking her out to a hospital I once worked at.

There are lots of empty parking spaces in the outpatient clinical areas, and enough driving conditions around the entire complex with very little traffic to intimidate her. One big parking lot was completely empty so that was a good place for her to speed up and get a "feel" for the car and the steering wheel, etc. I will admit that about the first 15 minutes I made sure to sit on my hands as I could feel the "uneasiness" in the handling of the car. We had the classic 'head-jerking' stops, but then the feel of the car changed as she kept driving. It began to feel very steady and confident. We stayed in the parking lot the first day, and then Sunday we went again for another hour. This time she was driving around the complex with other traffic around her. She's picking this up really quick and confidently. Whew! But the most she's got the car up to has been 20mph. LOL I have yet to see how she does on main roads and with plenty of traffic.

I did set down SOLID rules about driving. NO CELL PHONE ON IN THE CAR when behind the wheel. I made that part of her routine for beginning the car; adjust driver's seats, windows, steering wheel, turn on head lights, turn off cell phone.......etc. She's not addicted to the thing that much anyway, but if she wants to drive my car thats the rules.

Boy it's different when it's your child you're teaching!

lamberts-lost-tooth, I'll be thinking of you! You'll be up next to the plate. You're going to have to let me know how you're doing! We'll be going through this together and eventually be able to get to where devilsdancefloor is.

What would be more difficult? Teaching a boy or teaching a girl? One may want the 'need for speed' whereas the other? My daughter luckily is not the 'giddy' 'gossipy' 'giggly' type. She's grounded, mature and serious when in serious matters so I think I luck out in that department. So maybe this is just more about the personality rather than the gender?

trauben is offline   Reply With Quote