View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 09:55 PM   #24
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: F-22 fighter program gets the axe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
lets keep it real here and not cloud the facts with semantics. the f-22 itself nor the program is being canceled. just a total order for 381 of them. i mean its one thing for a 4 star general to say we are adding that many to the arsenal, but the bottom line lies with the DoD and ultimately congress and the prez.

the next war we see, will showcase the raptors, front and center. they are replacing the retired stealth fighters (which are already sitting on a pad in the desert of nevada). hell they may already be at their final resting place in the graveyard at davis monthan afb.

by all accounts the f-117's were outdated. they were just about impossible to fly. they pretty much flew on computer controlled auto pilot because they were such a freak of physics, they never belonged in the air in the 1st place. i have pretty much had pilots tell me "you dont fly them, it flies you".

our current fleet of raptors arent going anywhere. by all accounts they cant be rendered obsolete, and no country will catch up, for the next 20 years. that buys us enough time.

by the same token, our 50 year old b-52 program is just as relevant today as it was 50 years ago, and still hasnt been rendered obsolete either. doesnt mean our DoD budget contains funds for 100 new ones though. at some point enough is enough, and i think that is what is being said about the 187 raptors going forward.
Tony. . . if you were that rational and logic in your political posts... We'd be having GREAT discussions.

I think you are absolutely right. The only thing that worries me is the idea of replacement planes. While the B-52's are so basic that they can probably be rolled off a ford plant still, the new planes are so specialized that it becomes quite difficult to keep using and re-using them through the years.

I wouldn't mind seeing 2 or 3 being made every year or two just to maintain the fleet. Start in say, 5 years if we don't have anything new coming on line at that point.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote