IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,740 Times in 3,670 Posts
Default Re: The Chinese have a new toy...and it doesn't bode well for US Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
The budget for this year (which is a Bush budget) is 654.7billion
Next year, (Obama's first budget) is 663.7billion

The war on terror--which is now called "overseas contingency plans" (come on, ANYONE would have to admit that is just a SILLY name) is about the same.

So in short, Obama is NOT cutting the military. However, is not really increasing the military funding by that much either. 9 billion is not enough to do what he wants. . . increasing the size of the army and Marines. However, in this economy, it isn't wise to increase the budget either. If this kind of budget restraint was showing throughout the budget, I would be fine with next years budget, given the circumstances.

If he DID increase the size of those two forces, I would be in COMPLETE agreement, provided he didn't do it on the backs of the Airforce and Navy, or spec. ops.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/assets...0_defense8.pdf
i clicked the link you provised and did not see where you are getting your numbers-

Quote:
The Defense Department (DOD) Budget provides our troops with vital
resources to carry out their missions with their continued high level of
excellence. This Budget also ensures that, while our servicemembers
protect our country, we protect their families with expanded support
here at home. With $533.7 billion for Fiscal Year 2010, the Budget
addresses the Defense Departmentís highest priorities.
Quote:
(come on, ANYONE would have to admit that is just a SILLY name)
i know. the "axis of evil" was such a better name.

Quote:
However, is not really increasing the military funding by that much either. 9 billion is not enough to do what he wants. . .
yeah, and trying to eliminate kickbacks and bribes and reappropriate funds doesnt increase the value of the US spent on military either.

everyone knows the haliburton route of charging the govt 50 cents (or so) for a pack of ketchup isnt the way to go.