Old 04-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #13
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,988 Times in 3,416 Posts
Default Re: The Chinese have a new toy...and it doesn't bode well for US Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Actually Tony, it is in the graph on the right hand side of the page.

And yeah, axis of evil is MUCH more descriptive. But I am talking about changing from "war on terror" to "overseas contingency plans."
after pulling out a magnifying glass.....

Quote:
it clearly breaks down the costs of
the base defense budget, as well as the incremental costs of ongoing
military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan for 2010.
it seems there is the base DoDefense budget that doesnt exactly take into account the Offensive engagements (unpredictable) we are involved in, such as the "overseas contingency plans". it looks like everything green/yellow in the graph is "over budget", so to speak.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...032402818.html

Quote:
The Bush administration adopted the phrase soon after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks to capture the scope of the threat it perceived and the military operations that would be required to confront it.

In an address to Congress nine days after the attacks, President George W. Bush said, "Our war on terror will not end until every terrorist group of global reach has been found, stopped and defeated."

But critics abroad and at home, including some within the U.S. military, said the terminology mischaracterized the nature of the enemy and its abilities. Some military officers said, for example, that classifying al-Qaeda and other anti-American militant groups as part of a single movement overstated their strength.

Early in Bush's second term, then-Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld promoted a change in wording to "global struggle against violent extremism," or GSAVE. Bush rejected the shift and never softened his position that "global war" accurately describes the conflict that the United States is fighting.
does this mean obama is now adopting rummys failed policies?