Old 04-15-2009, 09:50 PM   #11
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,670 Posts
Default Re: Loopholes let gun smuggling to Mexico flourish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Which is why I go back to exempting the military from posse-comitatus within a certain mileage of the border.. say, 5 miles of any US, Mexican border. Let the Spec. Forces do some "training" there.

After all, Force Recon, Green Beret's, Navy Seals, and the Air force's SOFs need to keep themselves up to date in live fire situations don't they?
im not exactly sure what youre talking about preacher. not to be flip, but have you ever been to el-paso/juarez? imagine a city of about 2 mil. divided in half by a 15 foot river. maybe st. paul and minneapolis

are you suggesting a 10 mile stretch of city (including downtown) running 5 miles deep be turned into a militarized zone for "testing"? the same can be said for san diego/tuijana.

i just went to the NCAA sun bowl in december. it is literally a quarter mile from the poorest region in juarez which happens to be about the poorest region in all of mexico. i looked ath the shantytown and took it in as i was about to watch my pitt panthers play and drink 8 dollar beers.

you do know that fort bliss is probably within 5 miles of juarez? (think patriot missle batteries)

the entire base is being torn down and a completely new one built (at the cost of 2-3 bil)-

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...o.3acac1e.html

Quote:
The base, a 1.12-million-acre spread that's larger than Rhode Island and abuts White Sands in New Mexico, will be the nation's fourth-largest Army installation in population by 2013, only slightly smaller than Fort Hood.

And the area will also benefit from local troops returning home from Iraq, including the recent homecoming of the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division.
the population going from about 20,000 to 90,000 including spouses and children. this expansion has nothing to do with juarez (although im sure it will act as a deterrent).

still, the base is there to conduct army busines, not INS, dept of homeland security, or boarder patrol business. and i still cant see turning downtown elpaso into a battle zone.