View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 09:24 PM   #11
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401
Default Re: Sikhs fight Army over bans on turbans, uncut hair

I'm not here 2 argue or start another endless dispute. But U guys kept calling em with the names like "towel heads" or "turban heads" so I couldn't help but 2 try 2 reply. These guys R totally different than typical Muslim fundamentalists. It's like calling the Jews Muslims. As far as I learned they're very brave & honorary men. They make good soldiers historically.

My take is Y can't the US military make exceptions 4 em. I understand how these men R torn between their faith & wanting 2 serve the military. I'm sure U guys can say there R at least hundreds of Muslim men serving in the US military without a trouble. Muslims can go without turbans but these guys can't. I took out some paragraphs from the wiki on the bottom, so that U guys can C.

I also hear some of U guys don't like these minority demands that make U change rules. If U look at it closely isn't that similar 2 family like situation? I mean the couples are used to some ways of lifestyle, until the kids starting show up. The kids don't ask U 2 change the whole thing 4 em, only a few rules, & same as these minority groups who R asking from the government. They're only asking U 2 make small changes 4 em. After all pretty much everything was set up before these minorities were accepted as equals. (Please note that I'm not bashing the US government, since it's pretty much the same in many other countries!)

Quote:
The Five Ks, or panj kakaar/kakke, are five articles of faith that all baptized Sikhs are required to wear at all times, as commanded by the tenth Sikh Guru, who so ordered on the day of Baisakhi Amrit Sanskar in 1699. The symbols are worn for identification and representation of the ideals of Sikhism, such as honesty, equality, fidelity, meditating on God, and never bowing to tyranny. Kesh or uncut hair is one of the five symbols.
Quote:
Generally Sikhism has had amicable relations with other religions. However, during the Islamic conquest of India (1556–1707), prominent Sikh Gurus were martyred by the ruling Mughals for opposing the Mughal's persecution of non-Islamic religious communities. Subsequently, Sikhism militarized to oppose Islamic hegemony. The emergence of the Sikh Empire under reign of the Maharajah Ranjit Singh was characterized by religious tolerance and pluralism with Christians, Muslims and Hindus in positions of power.
Quote:
Sikhs make up 10–15% of all ranks in the Indian Army and 20% of its officers, whilst Sikhs only forming 1.87% of the Indian population, which makes them over 10 times more likely to be a soldier and officer in the Indian Army than the average Indian. The Sikh Regiment is one of the highest decorated regiment of the Indian Army.

By the advent of World War I, Sikhs in the British Indian Army totaled over 100,000; i.e. 20% of the British Indian Army. In the years to 1945, 14 Victoria Crosses were awarded to the Sikhs, a per capita record given the size of the Sikh Regiments. In 2002, the names of all Sikh VC and George Cross winners were commemorated by being inscribed on the pavilion monument of the Memorial Gates on Constitution Hill next to Buckingham palace, London.

During the First World War, Sikh battalions fought in Egypt, Palestine, Mesopotamia, Gallipoli and France. Six battalions of the Sikh Regiment were raised in the World War II, and served at El Alamein and in Burma, Italy and Iraq, winning 27 battle honours.