View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 12:13 PM   #22
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976
Default Re: Sikhs fight Army over bans on turbans, uncut hair

Somehow, I don't think protective headgear is high on the list of equipment needed to serve as a dentist. I know it's important to follow procedure in the military, but this seems like a situation where just exercising a little common-sense judgment could make things turn out happily for everyone. Being that adamant about sticking to the rules even when the situation really doesn't call for it is just stubborn.

I went to school with a few people who were of the Sikh faith, and I've got to say, this is not your usual religious-trinket dispute like whether it's optional to wear a necklace or something like that. It's, like one of the seven fundamental things that's hugely important to them from birth. It'd be like telling one of those Orthodox Jews with the hats and the long-ass beards that they had to eat pork and couldn't pray from now on, only about ten times more so.

Bottom line for me is, yeah, if these guys were supposed to be front-line troops, this probably wouldn't fly. So fine, disqualify them from any of the jobs where you have to wear a helmet. If they want to make themselves useful somewhere, go for it.