Old 04-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #43
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927
Default Re: PA Gov. Rendell Wants Tough Gun Laws in Response to Cop Killings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
Personally, I think an assault weapons ban is good line. Still leaves a large number of weapons for sport and self-defense. I look at it like this; back when the constitution was written, they could never have envisioned the types of weapons we have now, nor can we envision the ones we will have in the future. While I tend to be an originalist in my Constitutional interpretation, I don't think a limit on the types of arms citizens are allowed to bear would be too terrible.
As an originalist you surely realize the intent of that amendment was to balance power. There is no balance in the gubmint having tanks and planes and nukes, and the citizens having sporting equipment.

And the very carefully chosen words forbid congress from abridging that right. It is what it is.

Little known fact. Switzerland remained free while the nazis overran Europe because their citizens are armed. The Swiss pointed out to the german high command that their officer corps would be decimated if they were to invade. To this day you will see the Swiss in public with their military gear.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote