View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 08:04 AM   #6
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Comp. Techies.. give me some help here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Ok.

So I am back to the place where I am going to have to buy a new computer.

I have a few choices... However, here is one I am seriously thinking about.

Building my own computer. I have never done it before. I have installed memory and also installed a video card before.

I have done a little research concerning CPU's, Motherboards, etc, and want 1333FBS at the minimum and what may be a quad 2 or an I7 chip, however, as I have read around, I am not too impressed with the I7's yet.

I also want a 10,000 RPM hard drive (willing to have smaller drive for the speed as I have about 3 external hardrives laying around that I can attach for secondary files).

Lastly, I am looking at a 3 monitor flat screen setup.

Now, I know that I can build it, but I want to hear from those of you who know hardware. . . is it worth building it, or should I buy a prebuilt one? After all, I am going to have to buy windows for it as well, including Office. I can't budge on that as I need the OS for some of the work I do at school.

So what do you think? Is it worth it? and how inexpensive do you think I can build this things sans monitors.
It would be cheaper to build it yourself, no question, especially for the setup you described. Plus, you have the added benefit of putting exactly what you want on the PC as far as software and not be stuck with a bunch of preloaded crap and no included copy of the OS in some cases. I'd recommend www.pricewatch.com to look for good deals. There are tons of vendors there based in CA, so that'll be good for you. If you do buy from there, pay close attention to the ratings and feedback - never buy from a vendor with less than a 4-star rating. It's similar to eBay and never buying from anyone with less than a 98% positive rating. If you don't want to go that route and prefer a nationally-known vendor, I'd give Newegg.com or tigerdirect.com a shot. Since you want a 10,000 RPM drive, most run on SCSI, but they do make them for the SATA 300 interface as well. And they're relatively inexpensive to boot. It will cost you a little bit of money because you need a motherboard capable of running 2 dual-port video cards and the video cards themselves, but it'll still be way cheaper to build it yourself.

Also, I'd recommend the Core 2 Quad processor - I'm not all that impressed with the i7's either.