View Single Post
Old 05-05-2005, 08:24 AM   #3
acrossthepond
Water Boy

Member Number: 368
Angry Re: Negotiations start w/ Ward !!!

I know Ward is a premier player . . . and I can't stand the thought of him leaving town . . . one aspect that concerned me though in the Post-Gazette article is this:

"the model for a new contract has to be the one the Indianapolis Colts gave Pro Bowl receiver Marvin Harrison last year.

At age 32, Harrison received a reported seven-year, $67 million extension that included $23 million in guaranteed money the first two years. He earned a $6 million signing bonus last year plus a $7 million roster bonus this past March, which subsequently was turned into a signing bonus for salary cap accounting. In essence, he received a $13 million signing bonus.

At 29, Ward is younger than Harrison and, considering the Steelers throw the ball much less than the Colts, relatively more productive. "

Can we afford to throw anything like that sort of money at a WR? If we are trying to follow the Colts way of doing business we'll end up with just half a team like them . . . all the money at the big name guys . . . and not good enough in total to win it all . . .
acrossthepond is offline   Reply With Quote