X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Techie... Overclocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
A couple questions on building your own computer:

1) Are there any For Dummies-type guides out there that tell you everything you need to know to do it yourself? I know you have to take a lot of things into account like electricity, enough fans to keep it cool, making sure all the hardware is compatible, etc.

2) Is it really any cheaper than buying one? You can get a lower-end computer for a few hundred bucks. It doesn't seem like you can get the individual parts and the necessary tools for that amount of money.
1. There most certainly are: http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-You...214558&sr=1-11

2. It all depends on what you intend to use your computer for. But yes, it is cheaper to build it yourself, even if you just want a low-end system to browse the Internet or listen to music. You just have to know where to look to buy parts - Newegg.com is a good place to start. If you're looking for parts at rock-bottom prices, pricewatch.com is another good place to look.

Hope this helps, and good luck if you decide to build a PC. Oh, and don't forget your anti-static wrist strap!

On the topic of overclocking...once I get everything I need in my PC and upgrade to a Phenom X4, I plan to overclock it. AMD chips have a reputation of being easily overclockable, which is why a lot of people use them. I just use them because Intel chips are too damn expensive, but I may as well see what the thing really can do.