Old 06-25-2009, 07:28 PM   #9
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Traded away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
The bad thing is we have a horrible farm system. We built the early 1990s teams by trading overpriced veterans for prospects in the 1980s. That's how we got Bonilla, Drabek, Bell, Bream, LaValliere, Van Slyke, etc.

Problem is we started trading good players for chump change, like when we traded Aramis Ramirez. Our minor league system isn't producing anyone good. And when we do trade for a legitimate prospect, he sucks for years until we give up on him and then plays well somewhere else. Jason Schmidt was a bust for us and an All-Star for the Giants.
Not anymore we don't. The Pirates have added a TON of legitimate talent just in the past 2 years, and if they sign the Dominican kid, that's one more legitimate talent added to the system. Alvarez and Lincoln both got selected today to play for the U.S. team in the Futures game during the All-Star break, and both likely will be with the team next year. Alvarez, despite hitting just .246 and striking out 75 times in 266 AB, he has 16 HR and 60 RBI between high A Lynchburg and AA Altoona. He was leading the Carolina League in RBI when he was promoted to Altoona on Monday. Lincoln is 2-5, but has a 2.20 ERA and was dominant in his first start with Indy after his promotion earlier this week. They got Tabata in the Nady trade and Gorkys Hernandez in the McLouth trade, both outfielders and both are doing well at Altoona. They just had a pretty solid draft and added some quality pitching depth. So the talent is there, it just needs to be developed, which I think will happen with their share of them. The only question is will Bob Nutting open up his wallet and pay to keep them here, particularly Alvarez since he has Scott Boras as his agent. Time will tell on that, and honestly I'm not holding my breath.