Old 07-23-2009, 09:03 PM   #495
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityKing View Post
i'm really not shocked about any of our players getting traded anymore. i've just learned to deal with it and not get too invested with liking a player. Bay, Nady, Morgan, LaRoche...all good players in my eyes and now they're gone. that's fine, whatever. just please don't get rid of Doumit! haha!

last night's game was off the hook. 7-7 tied and a walk off home run in the bottom of the 9th by Brandon Moss. can't go wrong with that. i'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a .500 record. ha!
Bay is starting to wear out his welcome with Red Sox fans because he strikes out too much, especially in key situations. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? Pirates fans complained about that all the time when Bay was here. The guy has never been good with RISP - in fact, if he was up with the bases loaded, you could pretty much count on him NOT getting the job done.

Nady is out for the season for the Yankees and was injured for a good bit after the deal last year. Let the Yankees pay him $7 million for not playing - I'm glad the Pirates aren't doing it.

Morgan is a 4th or 5th outfielder on any other team but the Pirates and Nationals. He was WAY overvalued because he was a good guy. Lastings Milledge, if he continues his hot hitting when he gets called up, will make you forget Morgan pretty quick.

LaRoche the Elder is a good defensive first baseman, I'll give him that. But he sucks balls at the plate, period. Your first baseman should have more than 12 HR and 40 RBI at this point, and hit a little better than .244. Garrett Jones in just 17 games has hit NINE HR, and he's hitting over .300. Yeah, I'll take Jones and his stats, thanks. I have no problem with him being dealt whatsoever. I'm just surprised they found a sucker to take him off our hands.

And let's talk about McLouth - he's done very little since being traded to the Braves. Meanwhile, Charlie Morton is 2-2 with a 3.21 ERA and Gorkys Hernandez is having a nice season with AA Altoona, and will definitely be at AAA to start next season assuming he has a solid spring. In the long run, the Bucs are going to win that trade, hands down.

Bottom line - the Pirates were not winning with those guys and needed to get younger and get more talent into the system. They've done a pretty good job of that. The question is not with the talent...the question is with management and their willingness to spend money to keep that talent here. History says they won't.