View Single Post
Old 01-31-2006, 08:11 PM   #78
ColoradoSteelerFan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1660
Default Re: Reasons Seattle will win are curious....

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksashton
I just have to chime in on this. I admire the Steelers defense. They're tough against the run and have a pretty good pass defense. But they have not faced an offense like Seattle's all year. Seattle's offense is very balanced - good passing and great running. They have the best offensive line in the NFL. THey open up holes and defend the rush very very well. While the Steelers D is good, I don't think they're good enough to dominate Seattle's passing and rushing game. They'll need to emphasize pass defense or rush defense to win. But when they do that they play to Seattle's strengths. If the other team focuses on stopping the run, our good QB and receivers run rampant. If the other team focuses on stopping the pass then Alexander gains 120 yards and 2 TD's. Bottom line, I think Seattle's strengths on offense match up pretty well against the Steelers D.

On the other side of the ball, Seattle's defense will surprise at least the Pittsburgh fans if not the players. Seattle was 5th in the NFL agasint the run this year. While their defensive line is small by Pittsburgh standards, they're quicker. They move to the ball well. They're very aggressive. They also sack the QB a lot but I think that's over played. Their focus isn't on sacks. It's on pressuring the opposing QB enough to throw off timing. Seattle's biggest weakness is in the secondary and I think that's where they'll win or lose the game. If Pittsburgh is able to establish a running game (I don't think they will in any significant way...) then Seattle will be in a world of hurt b/c they'll need to bring in extra help. Pittsburgh's QB is good, no question. But he's also very young. How will he hold up under the pressure? How will he handle getting knocked around? How will he handle the pressure he'll face if the Steelers can't establish the run?
This is the kinda stuff I'm talking about!

Haven't faced an offense like Seattle's all year?

Seattle finished the year ranked 2nd in total offense with 369.7 yds/game.

The Colts finished 3rd in total offense with 362.4 yards/game.....Steelers beat them two weeks ago....on the road.

Denver finished 5th in total offense with 360.4 yards/game. Steelers beat them last week.....on the road.

Cincy finished 6th in total offense with 358.1 yards/game....Steelers beat them TWICE this season.....BOTH TIMES on the road.

So...you are wrong. The Steelers have faced AND BEATEN 3 team with very, very good offenses....all within the last 3 weeks.

NO running back has gained 100 yards on the Steelers during the past 7 games, and I can't think of a single back to do it this year (though it might have happened once or twice). In fact, there has been only ONE time during the past 7 games when the opposing team's entire rush offense broke the 100 yard mark (105 Cincy).

The Steelers don't have to put 8 guys in the box because their D-line and LB's are so good. This leave both safeties available for the Blitz or coverage.

Roethlisberger has shown how he operates when they can't establish the run. He showed this against Denver. The Steelers averaged like 2.7 yards a carry and hit 90 yards....what happened? Denver got blown out! So....your question has been answered.
ColoradoSteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote