View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 10:30 PM   #537
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365
Default Re: 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Their goal is to infuse the organization with as much talent as possible, because before Huntington and Coonelly took over, the farm system was as barren as it can get. There was precious little talent throughout the organization, and they are correct that if you want to build a winning organization in a market like Pittsburgh, you need to have a strong minor league system. Mission accomplished, but I never thought in my wildest dreams that they would do it in such a short period of time. They've basically turned the entire roster over in a little over a year. That is what really has the fans upset and scratching their heads - we have been completely blind-sided by their "trade everyone and everything that isn't nailed down" approach to organization-building.

BTW, the Steelers DO run their organization in a similar fashion - they prefer to build from within and have no problem letting quality players go when they feel they need to (see Faneca, Alan and Porter, Joey). The big, big difference, of course, is that the Steelers will spend the money to keep their homegrown talent here, whereas the Pirates have not. Whether that will change if and when all of the players they've acquired develop into good major-leaguers remains to be seen. I still haven't changed my stance - I will give the GM time and a chance to see if his plan works, but I will do it from the comfort of my living room starting next season.
there isnt a point in trying to explain to some of these people, they want the Pirates to be ran like the Steelers are when in fact running a baseball team is no way like running a baseball team.

I cant believe i keep forgetting about Donnie Veal, probably because i have only seen him once this year.