A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Re: Big Ben off to slow start in camp

Big Ben's not in midseason form
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/...9901194371.txt

By Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff

Published: Monday, August 3, 2009 11:58 PM EDT
LATROBE — Ben Roethlisberger is still working his right arm into playing shape.

The Steelers quarterback admitted Monday that he’s a bit frustrated with his performance during the first three days of training camp.

“I think I have a pick every day in practice,” he said.

Roethlisberger has thrown an interception during 11-on-11 drills in each of the past three days. Rookie cornerback Keenan Lewis swiped one of his passes Saturday. Strong safety Troy Polamalu intercepted him Sunday. Monday, it was free safety Ryan Clark who picked off a Roethlisberger pass.

“It’s frustrating at times,” Roethlisberger said. “(I’m) trying to make the throws I can make later in the year … (but) my arm isn’t ready for it.”

Roethlisberger said he was particularly upset that he didn’t connect on a few deep passes Monday. But coach Mike Tomlin said he isn’t worried.

“We misconnected on a couple of deep balls, but it didn’t look like it had anything to do with arm strength,” Tomlin said.

Roethlisberger, 27, admitted that his arm strength isn’t what he’d like it to be because he didn’t do a lot of throwing in the weeks leading up to training camp. He said it usually takes a week of camp until he works his arm into shape.

“I don’t throw a lot before I come into this for that reason. I don’t want to get worn down late in the year,’’ he said.

“It just takes a couple of days to get into it. I hope by Wednesday.”
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote