A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Views from Steelers Training Camp: Day 4

Views from Steelers Training Camp: Day 4
August 4, 5:01 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-14024-Pitt...ing-Camp-Day-4

Stapleton Injured

Starting right guard Darnell Stapleton remains out with a knee injury. Trainers continue to drain his knee, which is pretty swollen. Stapleton is awaiting MRI results and surgery may be an option. If he is out an extended period of time, Trai Essex will be the first to replace him at guard. What makes Stapleton’s injury worse is he was taking snaps at center as well because starter Justin Hartwig is out with an injured toe.

More rest for Ward

Since running eight 100-yard sprints when the team reported to Latrobe on Friday, veteran receiver Hines Ward has missed five practices including today’s sessions. Head Coach Mike Tomlin said he’s “emotionally invested” in Ward and he’s going to ease him into camp. Ward said he’s fine and expects to practice before the end of the week. Troy Polamalu, Deshea Townsend, and Willie Parker were also given the day off today.

Speedy kick returner

Besides Mitch Berger’s horrendous punting, kick-returning was a big weakness for the Steelers last year. Enter rookie Mike Wallace, who was the second fastest receiver at the scouting combine running a 4.25 in the 40 yard dash. Wallace was the primary kick returner in practice today and looked good doing it.

Martin Nance impresses

A pleasant surprise for the Steelers receiving corps today was Martin Nance. The tall wide receiver made a couple of diving catches today getting reps at the position with Ward out. Nance played with Ben Roethlisberger at Miami of Ohio and was on the practice squad last year.

I’d hate the Steelers too if I were Baltimore

The Steelers are well aware of the shirt that Baltimore Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs is wearing at camp. It reads “You beat your sweet *BLEEP* I hate the Steelers”. The hatred could possibly stem from the three losses to the black & gold last year? Yeah, that could be it.

He said it...

Head coach Mike Tomlin on if Hines Ward is healthy: “Yeah, that man’s got some money in my emotional bank account”.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote