View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
mmalone
Team Captain

Member Number: 13521
Default Redman and Summers Score - Defense Wins

Redman hits pay dirt

No one had a better goal-line drill than Isaac Redman, a little-known back from little-known Bowie State in Maryland. Redman, an undrafted rookie, scored twice on his only two carries. He was running with the second team and against the second-team defense, but he looked good doing it.

It also got him off to a flying start after a solid first week in his first pro training camp.

"I feel pretty good about it ... but I can't let it go to my head, I still have to work hard," said Redman. "As long as I come out here and work hard and stay injury free, hopefully I have a good shot at making this team."

Few might have thought that back in April when no one drafted Redman after he ran just 108 times for 538 yards at Bowie State. The Steelers, in fact, were the only ones interested in signing him, he said.

"I was kind of under the radar, nobody knew too much about me."

He has good size at 6 feet, 230 pounds and has a rugged style. He seemed to know what to do at the goal line yesterday.

"Find the hole and go," he explained. "Can't do too much dancing around. You just have to see that crease, especially in the NFL, it closes up real fast. You just go to see the crease and go. If guys get under you, you ain't got a chance."

The Steelers have been looking for a short-yardage back since Jerome Bettis retired after the 2005 season. They drafted Frank "The Tank" Summers on the fifth round as a candidate. Summers failed to score on his first two carries off the right side yesterday but went wide the next time and made it in. Rashard Mendenhall, running with the first team because Willie Parker missed practice again, was stopped for no gain on his first carry and lost 2 on his second.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09222...#ixzz0Nn6FVQML