View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 06:25 AM   #11
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: WTH Is Wrong With Kids Today???

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold View Post
As a guy from the "Gamer Generation", this is complete baloney! I grew up playing Doom and the old GTA games and what not, but I am not a barbarian nor a psychopath.

My parents taught be right from wrong and were firm believers in butt whoopings. Kids now get away with murder, parents do not have control of their kids. Either their parents are both working and they are "raised" by a babysitter or sibling who is just a kid themselves. (read Latch-Key Kids) Or, the parents themselves don't have any morals to pass along to their children. Kids now are so spoiled too, they think the world owes them a favor. When I see a 8 year old kid jabber jawing on their iPhone it makes me want to scream!

It is a common theme in society to blame someone or something else instead of taking responsibility for your actions. Kids do it, adults do it, hell... even the government does it!

It's not my fault I shot the guy, Grand Theft Auto made me do it. It's not my fault I'm addicted to drugs, Snoop Dog made me do it. It's not my fault I'm fat, McDonalds made me this way. It's not my fault I fell off the roof trying to fly, Peter Pan said I could do it

My Grandfather's favorite saying growing up was "you make the bed, you sleep in it". It seems that no longer applies...

P.S.: If you knew me in real life I am HUGE on accountability and responsibility. Excuses just burn my ass!

Couldn't agree more.

My favorite video game to this day was the original Mortal Kombat...which, as I'm sure you know, was used as the catalyst that eventually gave us our wonderful game rating system (I know GTA was the last straw, so to speak, but it started with MK). I remember the furor that was raised over that game, how it was "too violent" and would "cause our kids to become desensitized to violence." Um, yeah, sure. I played that game A LOT and own all of the latest MK games on my home systems, and not once did I want to spear a guy or set him on fire like Scorpion or try to pull a guy's head and spine out like Sub-Zero. I'm a little tired of video games being blamed for all the ills with kids myself. If they want to know why little Billy is such a brat, how about they look in the mirror.

Oh, and speaking of 8 year olds with iPhones, there was a kid about 12 years old that sat in front of me at a Pens game last year that did nothing but sit and text on her iPhone all during the game. Why in the HELL does a kid that age need a cell phone at all, much less a $500 iPhone???