Old 08-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #33
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302
Default Re: Outrageous Lawsuits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Yeah, I mean, I think when you file the original complaint or whatever, it needs to include some basic info.

Maybe we do like a grand jury inquiry, but instead of "peers" it's just a judicial review board, and they review cases and bind over the few with merit and dump out the shit (which I'm guessing is 90% of what gets processed).

The trial lawyers would HATE this, because it would essentially force most of them to move on to the only other thing they are qualified to do, which is shill used cars at the local JD Byryder writing buy here/pay here loans at 24%, but, eff em! They should have studied to be engineers instead...
I think they have that mechanism in place with summary judgments. If they just tweaked it a little bit, things would be OK. The problem with that is that judges decide law, juries decide fact. All you need to have to do is have 1 single fact in dispute and you survive a MSJ. No matter what rules you make they will always find a way around it.

I think a cap on awards would stop lots of attorneys from filing shit. If you know you aren't going to get paid, you don't have much desire to put in work. however, I also think for every person getting burned by coffee and becoming a millionaire there are 200 people who deserve more who simply aren't getting it.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote