View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 06:24 PM   #34
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976
Default Re: Outrageous Lawsuits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
I think a cap on awards would stop lots of attorneys from filing shit. If you know you aren't going to get paid, you don't have much desire to put in work. however, I also think for every person getting burned by coffee and becoming a millionaire there are 200 people who deserve more who simply aren't getting it.
There's probably a lot of truth to that. The flip side is that for every spilled-coffee millionaire, 5,000 other people have to protect themselves by putting an asinine rule in place or modifying their behavior in an almost-paranoid way to guard against a copycat lawsuit by the worst possible idiot. Basically every company, city government, wealthy individual or other "sueable entity" in the country has to take evasive action, and it gradually strangles a lot of day-to-day affairs into gridlock.

I think the problem there has to do with the judicial system paying so much attention to precedent. If one case somewhere is decided a certain way, for some reason every judge everywhere is automatically compelled to rule the same way if the situation comes up again. I'm not sure how that benefits the best interest of justice, and it makes it seem like in a lot of cases, the judge is essentially reduced to the role of a referee.