View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 05:08 PM   #29
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976
Default Re: Comcast vs. DirectTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
Update: FInally ordered my projector & screen but delayed the DirectTV install due to hefty additional charges for hd dvr's in all but first room.....

So I am wondering if I should look at buying my own HD DVR recorders (Tivo, etc.) for the other rooms. Any thoughts?

Also wondering if I should get a basic Bluray HD dvd player, or, something my daughter can also use for gaming?
First off, Comcast completely sucks shit; don't ever go back to them. I had no choice but to use them for several years, and I can't think of a single positive thing to say about them.

Second, with DirecTV, Tivo does a pretty awful job. It can only record on the same channel you're watching; only the DirecTV-branded boxes will let you watch/record two things at once. Although I suppose if you're recording shows in rooms that nobody's in at the time, Tivo would work fine.

Do you really need a DVR for each room? Because you can get a regular DirecTV HD receiver (no DVR) for about 25 bucks on eBay, or Goodwill will probably give you one for free (all kinds of people drop DTV/Comcast boxes there for some reason, but they can't sell them). I'd just do that and have the one DVR in the main room. It lets you record two programs at once.

There's no reason whatsoever to buy a standalone blu-ray player, unless money is a huge concern and you want one of the discount ones. They just cut the price of the PlayStation 3 to $299, which is about what you'd pay for a middle-of-the-road blu-ray player anyway. For the same amount of money, you might as well get one that also does video games and the Internet.