fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,169 Times in 432 Posts
Default Re: Miami's Wildcat Formation

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
I think the wildcat works for Miami because they just run it a lot better than anyone else. They've got good personnel for it and they obviously practice it a lot. Other teams try to copy it and end up doing it half-assed, so it gets the same results as any other harebrained scheme. I mean, come on? Parker running the wildcat with our offense last year, in a singleback formation? Not a very good setup.

One more thing I noticed with Miami: They ran just about every snap like it was not only the wildcat, but it might also be a trick play on top of that. They did a much better job selling that than most teams I've seen. Most of the imitators just put a running back behind center and expect the defense to go "OMG, A DIRECT SNAP! EVERYBODY PANIC!!!" which, of course, they don't. But varying the plays and creating confusion got the Dolphins a lot of yards.

Anyway ... yes, most defenses are going to be all over the wildcat when most teams try it. It might still get some decent results for Miami, though.
I fail to see what it's gotten them besides an 0-2 record. They went down 27-23 with 2 minutes and some change and looked absolutely lost trying to run a 2-minute offense and managed the clock like a Pop Warner team - for a minute there I thought Holmgren replaced Sparano as their HC. Maybe they are making trickery and the Wildcat the focal point of their practices on offense, because they're obviously not practicing the 2-minute drill, that's for sure.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote