View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 12:09 PM   #25
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976
Default Re: Miami's Wildcat Formation

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Reserve. Basically I think you are saying that you build thru the draft with good young inexpensive talent instead of paying too much for it like Dan Snyder.
Yes. The difference is, when the draft slotting FORCES you to overpay for someone like Dan Snyder, pretty much the only way to get your money's worth is hope you find a star at an immediate "impact" position. Unfortunately, with a top-five pick and the salaries they command, MOST things you can do are the wrong move. Unless you get a star QB or the "next Barry Sanders" that everyone is always talking about (but never seems to materialize), you come out in the red. Taking an OL #1, to me, just looks like being resigned to the fact that you'll overpay a guy instead of gambling and maybe losing big.

Yes, the line is where it starts, but "building" a line with $10 million rookies is not the way I would do it. That doesn't mean I want to underpay all linemen everywhere, and it doesn't mean I think the line is unimportant, it means I think THAT is the wrong move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Your devaluing of guys in the trenches but willingness to overpay "skill players" is classic Raiders mentality. It sells tickets, but doesnt win championships.

Fans know that QB's, WR's and RB's win them weeks in their fantasy pools. NFL GM's and coaches know that Linemen win them games and get to the playoffs.
OK, you're talking about two different things there. Al Davis' problem isn't that he overpays skill players -- it's that he overpays indiscriminately, and that he overpays A LOT more skill players than you should. There ARE a handful of skill players worth $10 million, but you can't have five of them at once, and you'd better make sure that if you're paying a fortune, you have Ben Roethlisberger instead of DeAngelo Hall or Darius Heyward-Bey. Because that's going to create cap problems just as sure as a $10 million unproven lineman.

The second point? Come on. That's almost insulting. Not overpaying an offensive lineman doesn't mean I think you SHOULD overpay everyone else. Truth is, there are very few players who are worth 10 percent of your salary cap, period. Most of them are quarterbacks. I also think it's entirely possible to put together a good offensive line where your best guys are making $5 million and $6 million, not $9 million and $10 million. Just like it's possible to put together an outstanding defensive backfield or an outstanding defensive line that way (which is exactly what the Steelers have done, in case you didn't notice).

Anyway ... this is more of a side point, but thought it would be interesting to look at what HAS happened to most of the teams that have drafted offensive linemen top-five in the salary cap era as we know it. Have those linemen sparked a lot of success? A handul of teams -- the Rams in 1997, the Dolphins last year, the 2007 Cardinals -- had success ... but notice something? All of them also just happened to pick up a Pro Bowl QB for next to nothing (twice, it was Kurt Warner). The other teams? Well, it didn't really seem to help them or hurt them.

1997 Rams -- Orlando Pace
2000 Redskins -- Chris Samuels
2001 Cardinals -- Leonard Davis
2002 Bills -- Mike Williams
2004 Raiders -- Robert Gallery (there you go Al, overpaying skill players but not the line again)
2006 Jets -- D'Brickashaw Ferguson
2007 Browns -- Joe Thomas
2007 Cardinals -- Levi Brown