View Single Post
Old 02-08-2006, 10:34 AM   #13
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,624 Times in 2,869 Posts
Default Re: So what do you think it was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
There was a meeting after the Bengal and Colt defeats. What was said in that meeting we will never know,
yes we will:

Steelers' voyage inspired by a longer one in 1492
Friday, February 03, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

PONTIAC, Mich. -- Notre Dame players promised to win one for the Gipper, the most famous pep talk in football history. Now comes news leaked from Steelers players yesterday that coach Bill Cowher may have topped that one.

Like Knute Rockne's Gipper speech to the Irish, Cowher's talk has inspired the Steelers for the past seven games, even if many of them laugh about their coach's attempt to move them.

After all, winning one for Christopher Columbus is a tough sell.

The story never became public until now. It began the day after the Steelers lost to the Cincinnati Bengals Dec. 4 to tumble to 7-5. Cowher spoke to his team that Monday and delivered a pep talk and compared their seemingly impossible journey to the one Columbus faced in 1492 when he set off across the ocean blue.

"We were getting a pep talk and, out of nowhere, coach Cowher brought out that Christopher Columbus sailed here and nobody thought he could do it," defensive end Brett Keisel revealed, laughing. "It was hilarious. We were all just like, that's the first time I heard Christopher Columbus come up in a football pep talk."

the link to the rest of the story is on p. 1 of this thread. when i read this story last friday i had a really good feeling about the game.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote