View Single Post
Old 02-09-2006, 05:04 PM   #10
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: OFFICAL SB REF VIDEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsTed
Came across this post and I had to register in order to address a couple of your comments.

1st issue I have is where you stated "Hampton cannot move before the ball is snapped". I'm not sure exactly what you meant there, but of course Hampton could move before the ball is snapped. Now he cannot move into the neutral zone, causing an offensive player to move, but that's it.

2nd issue is the horse collar comment. The horse collar rules state that a horse-collar tackle is an open-field tackle in which a defender uses the shoulder pads to immediately bring a ballcarrier down. The term "open field" means that horse-collar tackles committed near the line of scrimmage will be allowed.

Porter dragged Alexander down, it was not immediate. When Roy Williams tackled Terrell Owens, Owens was brought down immediately. That's what the league wants to prevent. There also might be an issue or whether or not Alexander was in the "open field". There were only 3 horse-collar penalties called this whole year. It's more than grabbing someone by the back of their shoulder pads for it to be a foul.
1st issue - Hampton cannot move into the neutral zoneand remain there as the snap is in progress - he did - offsides!

2nd issue - Define immediate - Alexander went to the ground with the full weight of Porter on his shoulder pads - that, my friend, is a horse collar tackle.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote