Old 12-25-2009, 10:03 PM   #6
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: trade deadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
If the Pens trade Serg, they're going to regret it - trust me on that. He is what makes that PP go and is one of the best Dmen in the league. You're right XT - they won't win another Cup this season or for the next several seasons without him. Though Letang and Gogo are very promising young Dmen, neither of them brings what Gonch brings to the table and to that locker room. Besides that - I'll be pissed to hell and back, as he has been not only my favorite Pen but my favorite Pittsburgh sports figure for the last 5 years. I even loved him when he was with the Crapitals. He loves it here in the Burgh and is very close to both Mario and Geno, so I think in the end, both sides will make concessions and they'll get the deal done.
I really think that the Pens are waiting until they get some idea on what the cap may be next season, as it's been rumored for months to be going down anywhere from $2-4 million. If that happens, then it's going to make it very interesting, because if he truly wants $5 million, he's likely going to have to go to a bad team with a lot of cap room, because all of the good teams will be crunched. If he really wants to stay - and he's given no indication that he doesn't - then he will agree to take less. The Pens will also have UFAs McKee, Eaton, Dupuis, Tank, Guerin and Cooke to try to re-sign along with Letang as an RFA wanting an extension, so that will also factor in to what they ultimately do. IMO, they won't have the available cap room to sign him to anything more than $3.5 million a year and still re-sign all of those guys. I'm just going to hope something gets done, because Gonch is too important to this team to let go.