Old 01-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #15
Steel_12
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8295
Default Re: Gilbert Arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
I think you are getting a little far afield, no one is advocating people getting robbed, nor is anyone arguing against gun ownership. However, NEITHER of those situations happened here. Arenas is an idiot, plain and simple. Can he own guns? Sure. Does this have anything to do with him owning a gun? Not at all.

Since you brought up home invasions though, it is clear you see my point. Certain decisions need to be made in order to protect yourself, whether famous or not. If you feel you have to carry a gun to go somewhere, my argument is, you shouldn't be going there. Would you not lock your windows in your house? Would you leave the doors open for people to come in? Would you leave your garage door open so anyone could walk in and take whatever they want? Chances are no. So why would you put yourself in the position of having to carry a gun?

What Arenas did is dumb and makes no sense, there are no excuses for it. He was in zero danger at the arena, unless you can show me someone who get robbed at the stadium.
True, neither situation happened but athletes have seen other athletes get robbed in their own home (Sean Taylor, Eddy Curry, Antoine Walker and one of the Giants players which is why Plax had his gun), driving down the street (Jax player forgot his name), pumping gas (Vernon Forrest), Mendenhall got robbed just walking down the street, etc. They would be naive to not have their own weapon or a security team. They put themselves in that position every time they leave the house as you can see. So in order for them to stay away from those places (which are common places to go), they would have to stay in the house.

I'm not advocating what Arenas did by any means but I understand why he had a gun(s). Why he took them to the arena? He says it's because of his newborn...which I don't fully believe.
Steel_12 is offline   Reply With Quote