View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default East-West Shrine Practice

East-West Shrine Practice
Posted Jan 18, 2010

The East-West Shrine game kicked off its first practice Monday.

The quarterback trio of Fordham’s John Skelton, Penn State’s Daryll Clark and Northwestern’s Mike Kafka aren’t at the top (or even the middle) of most mock drafts, but they certainly grabbed the attention of the NFL brass in attendance.

- Skelton possessed the best arm of the trio, and his quick setup and underneath accuracy was stellar. Skelton displayed an effortless throwing motion and had legitimate snap on the out routes.

- Daryll Clark struggled in all facets during the practice, as he was inaccurate on even the shortest of routes, and lacked the arm strength to throw anything deep or even moderate. Clark struggled in his drops, and had major struggles taking routine handoffs from center.

- Mike Kafka showed very good footwork and was accurate on all short to moderate length routes. He was able to put some zip on the football, but failed on a few of his longer throws during skeleton drills.

“I believe my best asset is my arm strength,” the small school star John Skelton said following practice. “I believe I can throw it as well as anyone.”

In any non-contact set of drills, running backs will normally look pretty good. This was certainly the case, as former University of Miami back Javarris James (cousin of Edgerrin) looked nimble in the hole, displayed good hands, and showed a nice burst. Connecticut’s Andre Dixon showed good size, although he appeared to run upright. Tulane’s Andre Anderson showed good footwork, but appeared to lack burst as he was unable to run away from defenders.

As a whole, the East team wide receivers were fairly underwhelming, as none could gather much separation when lined up against corners. The ultra-productive Freddie Barnes showed the best hands of the group, as what you’d expect from a player who set an FBS record with 155 receptions as a senior. Buffalo’s Naaman Roosevelt showed a good ability to run routes, but lacked top-end speed. Michigan State’s Blair White caught every ball that touched his hands but he too lacked suddenness you’d like to see from a big time receiver. Colgate’s Patrick Simonds was a big target at 6’5”, but his play hardly stood out.

Although there doesn’t appear to be an impact tight end on this particular roster, Army’s Ali Villanueva turned heads with his sheer mass as he stood 6’10” and weighs in at 285 lbs. Despite being an extremely large individual, Villanueva showed solid athleticism and good hands. His size alone should garner him some consideration as a late-round project.

There weren’t many one-on-one situations for the East offensive linemen, so it was difficult to tell which player was at fault in some situations. A player that played a near-perfect practice was Iowa’s Kyle Calloway. Calloway lined up at right tackle and stoned every lineman in front of him.

“I think the best thing I offer NFL teams is my versatility,” Calloway said. “I can play anywhere on the right side and I can even play at left tackle or guard.”

The headliner of the defensive ends was certainly Mississippi’s Greg Hardy, who is rated by many scouts as a potential first-round pick. The 6’5”, 270 lb. Hardy looks the part of an every downs defensive end, but he hardly stood out on the first practice day. Ohio State’s Doug Worthington and Connecticut’s Lindsey Witten had many cameo’s in the East backfield during the practice.

Perhaps the most impressive defensive lineman was local UCF product Torrell Troup, who had many scouts taking notice as he was able to get penetration on seemingly every play and dominated the smaller interior offensive linemen. Purdue’s Mike Neal also made plays consistently in the backfield.

“I had the first day jitters,” admitted East All-Star Torell Troup, a senior from nearby UCF. “But it was good to finally get out and hit someone. It’s been a long time since my last game. I was very anxious to start practice.”

Wisconsin linebacker O’Brien Schofield seemingly stole the show at his position as he showed not only great pass rush ability which was expected, but the ability to drop in coverage and make plays. USF linebacker Kion Wilson was also very quick to the football.

The top corner for the East team during this practice session was Clemson’s Chris Chancellor, who did his best Darrelle Revis impersonation. When any of the East receivers were lined up on “Chancellor Island,” they came away with incompletions or were stuck making a tackle. Virginia Tech’s pair of defensive backs Kam Chancellor and Stephan Virgil were stellar as they ran step for step with each of the perspective pass catchers lined up across from them.

http://www.scout.com/2/939066.html
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote