View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #18
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296
Default Re: Tim Tebow an NFL QB? Fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo View Post
You do realize, though, that his 3.66 GPA comes from majoring in Family, Youth, and Community Sciences. That doesn't exactly evoke the impression of a winner of the Fields Medal in Mathematics!

I don't think that Tebow is stupid by any stretch of the imagination, but he isn't particularly "football smart", either. His size has allowed him to get away with that during his college years----instead of reading defenses and allowing plays to develop based on the defense read, he just takes off running. His size has allowed him to be successful at that at the college level. But in the pros...the game is a lot faster and everyone is big.

My reason for not liking Tebow is that he is selfish and a poor sportsman. I have seen him on more than one occasion mouthing-off to and flipping-the-bird to opposing teams fans in the stands. That's not exactly classy sportsmanship---especially for someone who apparently wants to be a pro QB (incidentally, it's also one of the reasons I don't like Rivers). For all of Tebow's Bible-bashing (no offense intended to those of you who study the Bible regularly...) he certainly doesn't walk the walk of a humble Christian---as the Bible says we should.
Next (with regard to his selfishness)---have you ever noticed that any time the Gators ran an option outside the Red zoneTebow always pitched it to the back; but if they were inside the Red zone he always kept it to score the TD himself? Very selfish player...

EDIT:
I also agree with the difficulty in overcoming his flawed mechanics---too high of a hurdle to overcome. But I have a feeling he would make a good TE...

"Football smart", and natural NFL ability usually go hand in hand in my opinion. Dan Marino had a terrible wonderlic score but supposedly read defenses with the best of them. The reason I say supposed is because Marino's natural ability in certain areas was so great that he literally had a second and half advantage in making his reads over a normal NFL qb.

Now don't get me wrong, I think Dan probably just had a bad day when he took the wonderlic. He wasn't and isn't a dummy. But at the same token i don't think he was ever one of the games great thinkers either. The Patriots used to roll out some sort of double zone that Dan still hasn't figured out to this day.

Anyway Marino probably had as close to a perfect release and throwing mechanics as anyone who ever played the game. No one taught him that, he was as fluid and sound fundamentally in his hs days at Central Catholic as he was at the peak of his NFL career.

Conversly Tebow's technique was always flawed and probably always will be. If he could have been corrected in an expediant manner I think Urban Meyer and the Gators coaching staff would have done so by now. It would be a major feather into their cap if he succeeded at the next level. So if they could have tore him down and remade him in a more acceptable NFL way without sacrificing the Gators season they almost certainly would have.

Don't be surprised if next year the Gators run more plays from a pro style set with a genuine NFL qb prospect running the plays.