View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
SteelCityMom

Member Number:
Default Re: "all we would need to do is leave people alone"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
I don't want to take the "Obama Administration Steers Lucrative No-Bid Contract for Afghan Work to Dem Donor" thread further off course, so I throw this out for discussion.

On a spectrum of "leave people alone" to "bomb them into submission" and all points in between, what is your solution to dealing with the islamic world and all its stripes? What should our role be in the islamic world? If you were to set an agenda for this situation, what would it be?
I'm one that agrees with the quote you brought to the thread. We should have taken Switzerlands lead a long damn time ago and just stayed the hell out of other countries business. It's caused a lot more problems than it will ever be worth in the end.

As it stands now, this country is way too deep in the proverbial shit for there to be an easy solution to get out of it. There probably never will be an end to the vicious circle our government has created, at least not in our lifetime. The best I think we can hope for is stopping terrorists (the ones born outside of this country at least) before another 9/11 happens.

Ideally, what I would like to see is:
-Close up the borders and make it extremely difficult to gain citizenship. I have nothing against any nationality, but if you want a secure country you just don't let anyone in willy nilly.
-Mandatory military training. You want other countries to be scared? Arm and train everyone to protect the country.
-Do away with unnecessary gun laws. Of course we don't want felons running around with firearms, but good citizens should be aloud to protect themselves...from foreign and domestic threats. Watch the crime rate and terror attack rate drop way down.
-Have trade only agreements with other countries. We can have some of your stuff, you can have some of our stuff...but outside of that, you keep to yourself and we'll keep to ourselves.

None of this will ever happen of course, because like I said, this country has gone too far at this point...but that's what should have happened 100+ years ago.