View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 03:11 PM   #10441
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
None of that is going to make HTG happy, because Gonchar is by far and away her favorite player. But I've said before that if he insists on asking for $6 million a year, which he says is market value, then he can take his services elsewhere. I love Sarge and I truly do appreciate all he's done for the team and for Geno, and is as great a human being as you can find. But this is a business, and the Pens simply cannot afford to pay him that much money in a long-term deal. He has to be willing to either accept a short-term deal for more money or a lesser amount over a longer-term deal. There's no other way it's going to get done. The Pens have to think about the best interests of the organization, and risking having a $5 million or $6 million cap hit on a retired player (Gonchar would be 40 at the end of a 4-year deal - certainly retirement age) even for one season would cripple the team. Also, at the end of those 4 years, Crosby's contract will be up, Staal the year before, and Malkin the year after. They will need all of the money they can get if they want to keep all 3 of those guys.
Lets tag him ... oops sorry wrong sport. I have to agree about letting Serge go if he wants 6 million. It's just not doable for a player at his age, given the Pen's cap situation.

As for HTG, here is the plan. If they let Serge go we have this guy deliver the news to her.

That ought to hold her over for a bit.

Last edited by OneForTheToe; 03-02-2010 at 08:33 PM.