Old 03-07-2006, 02:40 AM   #17
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044
Default Re: 100 Greatest Guitarists of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 to be 4
George Harrison, #57??? I thought being influential was part of it? How many kids became guitarists because of him? I agree that technically, he aint no top 10, but he and The Beatles introduced a lot of stuff to mainstream listeners and brought a new generation of wannabes that otherwise wouldnt have.

Totally agree. Harrison should be moved up about 40 spots.

Here's another name that deserves some recognition....Carl Perkins.
It's true he played country later in his career, but no one can deny his influence on rock, especially rockabilly. Paul McCartney said "If there were no Carl Perkins, there would be no Beatles."

Also....where's John Fogerty? Talk about a guitar sound that's instantly recognizable.

And Billy Gibbons is way too high on the list, (yes I know he's at 77....still too high).
Influential? Um...I guess so. Versatile? Hardly. ZZ Top has been remaking the same album over and over for years. Although I guess he does score big in the lasting popularity category.

I'm also surprised nobody's questioning Dave Mustaine's absence on the list. I can't say for sure that he should be on there, but I would have thought someone else would.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote