so i comes back home, nobody's helping shorty doowop
i roll two phillies together in the pen we call them oowops
he said nas, niggaz cold be bustin' off the roof
so i wear a bullet proof and pack a black tres-deuce
he inhailed so deep, shut his eyes like he was sleep
started coughing when i peeked to watch me speak
i sat back like the mack, my army suit was black
we was chillin' on these benches where he pumped his loose cracks

i know im an old fart... But I have NO idea what in tarnation any of that means.

But, hey, you say tomato, i say tom-ah-toe
I'll break it down to you. He's talking about being alone on the block without his boy for one. Here's the break down line by line. If anyone thinks I am wrong or I forgot something let me know.

"So I comes back home, nobody's helping shorty doowop" (In the context before this line in the song NAS is talking about walking around his hood by himself without protection and how what he sees and who he sees is enough to drive him insane or to get him caught and sent to prison. So he returns home. "nobody's helping shorty doowop" mean's no one is helping him do his thing in the daily grind.)

"I roll two phillies together in the pen we call them oowops" (He takes two phillies blunt cigars to smoke weed and in prison there are called "oops" cigars but he rhythmically extends the word to go better with the lyrics)

"he said nas, niggaz cold be bustin' off the roof
so i wear a bullet proof and pack a black tres-deuce"
(He's talkin either back in the day with his boy or with another person while smoking a blunt and how people who don't like them (rival gangs/drugs/etc.) could shoot them from a nearby rooftop. They must be smoking outside. So NAS wears a bulletproof vest and carries a gun with him to protect himself.)

"he inhailed so deep, shut his eyes like he was sleep
started coughing when i peeked to watch me speak"
(The other man takes a hit of the blunt so long and hard that he shuts his eyes to help him hold in the smoke. NAS changes persons now to refer to himself which makes you wonder if maybe he is just looking at himself in the mirror literally or figuratively with his actions. Either way as he opens his eyes he coughs from all the smoke he had inhaled when he looked to watch himself speak.)

"I sat back like the mack, my army suit was black
we was chillin' on these benches where he pumped his loose cracks"
(He relaxes and leans back in the seat comparitively as he does with his gun. He talks about wearing black as camoflauge in his hood at night so he cannot be seen. They are relaxing smoking and talking on benches that his boy at one time probably sold drugs from.)

I may be wrong in some of what I interpret or may be off on the terms and if I am I apologize and am open to corrections. The lyrics that you referred to seem to be a memory of when NAS and his boy used to chill out on the benches smoking weed together and how now his best friend is gone. The whole song refers to how rough and hard it is in the ghetto where he is from and how things change but stay the same. It is all put together in a poetic style that takes interpretation and understanding of the artist's verbiage to completely comprehend and appreciate. It may seem in poor taste to refer to guns, drugs, prison, prison rape, etc. as a form of art but the authors are only trying to get the word out of what is it like. What has happened and what they do and have done and what goes on where they are from. I hope this helped. If not.....oh well. So you know I'm from right outside the city limits in my city (Harrisburg, PA) so I'm not attempting to acknowledge that I know everything about or goes on in the ghetto. I do have friends back home from there and have grown up listening to rap and hip-hop so for me to listen to the same verse that you don't understand for me just makes perfect sense in what he is saying. Peace.

BuFu
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote