Old 04-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,761 Times in 2,933 Posts
Default Kirwan's final 3 round mock draft

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Quote:
Draft week is finally here, and there are still a number of veteran transactions that can have a profound impact on the early rounds.

Will the Washington Redskins sign a veteran left tackle such as Flozell Adams, and then attempt to move down in the first round and acquire more picks in the process?

The Miami Dolphins' trade for Brandon Marshall eliminated their need for a receiver, but created a need at that position in Denver. Speaking of the wide receiver position, that wasn't even a consideration a few weeks ago in Pittsburgh, but now the Steelers -- who traded Santonio Holmes to the New York Jets -- may be looking more closely at the position.

The trade of Ted Ginn Jr. to the San Francisco 49ers probably won't impact the draft too much, but if the Broncos send tight end Tony Scheffler to a place such as Cincinnati, then that will have a ripple effect on the first round.

If Jason Taylor signs with the Jets, that will significantly affect the Jets' draft plans.

Finally, mocking Round 2 -- which we attempt to do right here -- is even more difficult. The time off between Round 1 and Round 2 is a new experience for all decision-makers and teams will have additional time to re-stack their draft boards and get on the phone to work out some trades. This will change the whole complexion of the second day of the draft. It is going to be the most interesting draft in years.

Here is a look at my final mock draft -- this time going three rounds deep -- before the real thing kicks off Thursday (starting at 7:30 p.m. ET).
Quote:
18. Pittsburgh Steelers
Demaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech

Holmes is gone and there really isn't enough talent in the receiver group to avoid taking a pass catcher high in the draft. The Steelers like Mike Wallace, but Hines Ward is aging and Limas Sweed is struggling. Thomas is a big athlete with close to 19 yards a catch in a triple-option offense in college.

52. Pittsburgh Steelers
Kareem Jackson, CB, Alabama

After solving their new receiver issues in the first round, the Steelers get the much-needed corner here. Jackson comes from the Alabama Cover-2 scheme and possesses solid tackling skills.

82. Pittsburgh Steelers
Alex Carrington, DE, Arkansas State

Carrington has the traits the Steelers look for in a "five-technique" defensive end: Tall, long arms and speed. He's a steal in the third round.
we pass on wilson, iupati, and pouncey in the 1st round.

robinson, ducasse and valdeheer in the 2nd.

tennent and spikes in the 3rd.

i think we payed enough for turdball santonio in the first place. i certainly dont wanna pay another 1st rounder for his replacement. with that being said, he very well could be the most talented playse on their board when they select.

i sure hope we can squeeze another 2nd or 3rd out of this draft and dump some of the dead weight off of the back end.