View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 11:36 PM   #3
NEPAsteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 11528
Default Re: Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins

Wow... I forgot about this.

Anyways, the Baby Pens finished third in our Divison behind the (Capitals' AHL affliate) Hershey Bears and the (Hurricanes' AHL affiliate) Albany River Rats.

To kind of recap the season, it all started back in September when Pittsburgh held the Black and Gold Game out here in Wilkes-Barre in front of a sell-out crowd of over 8,300. It was awesome seeing Sid, Malkin, former Baby Pens, and all of the Pittsburgh Pens play right here in my own backyard. The season started off on a Positive note but kind of hit a snag when Pittsburgh was hit with injuries early in the season and a lot of our guys got called up. December was alright. Then January came along and that was just a down right painful month to endure. Luckily, The Baby Pens really got things going in February and March after a few line-up changes. Then, it was time for some Playoff hockey!

Our first-round opponent was the Albany River Rats. I felt very confident going up against this team because we were 6-0-1-1 (the AHL counts shoot-outs in the points) in the regular season against them. The first two games were in Albany. Keep in mind that since the Hurricanes missed the playoffs this season, they sent a few of their guys down to the River Rats. The first two games went exactly the same: we would take 2-0 leads then the Rats would tie it up late in the 3rd period and eventually win games 1 & 2 3-2 and 4-3 respectively. Then the series shifted home to Wilkes-Barre. Game 3 was more of the same with the Rats winning 2-1. Then came the do or die Game 4. I have never seen such horrible officiating . The Albany players were mauling our guys all game and not one call. I've never heard/been part of so many "REF YOU SUCK ... REF YOU SUCK" chants in one game . Our guys played their hearts out and put up a hell of a fight, but it just wasn't meant to be as we lost 5-3 and were swept in the first round of the playoffs for the first time in team history.

So now, it's up to the Pittsburgh Pens to get it done! LET'S GO PENS!
NEPAsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote