View Single Post
Old 03-12-2006, 06:17 PM   #24
tootalltoscore
Draft Prospect
Supporter

Member Number: 358
Default Re: Nance wants Miami reunion

I realize we need a WR, but I have to say that we should take Mangold in the first, long-term he will be our center for the next 10 years, IMHO he would be too good to pass up IF still there at 32. Let me pass on a comment from another respected source about Mangold:

Strengths

Slick Nick is the best center in this draft. He has excellent strength and balance and can handle a nose guard right in his face one on one. He has very good feet and lateral movement; he can get to his second level blocks very well. Nick can easily play guard because he has the athleticism to be used to pull. He is a leader and is an extension of the coaches on the field. There is no doubt about this kid?s mental stamina or calling plays at the line. He is the real deal.

Needs to Improve

Nick?s biggest weakness is that he is being overlooked. He is an instant starter in the NFL.

Bottom Line

Draft Nick and forget about having to worry about the center position on your team for the next ten years. Nick can handle all the blocking assignments that are required of him in both the passing and running game for either the guard or center position. Nick is the best center in this draft because he can handle by himself a 340 lb DT right in his face all day long and come out the winner. He has proven it to me. Everytime he has come up against Marshmallow Man (Gabe Watson DT Michigan), he has beat him like a drum. I have watched Nick move and control Gabe all around the field like a brother dancing with his sister at her 13th birthday party to make sure the 18 yr old boys don?t get a hold of her. He is an excellent technician and I never see him over-extending to make a block. Nick has first round talent. I believe he should be picked before some of the higher rated OT?s in this draft, but he probably won?t be. If I?m drafting in the first round and I?m a playoff team, I definitely look hard at taking an O-lineman like Nick that you can plug into your line right away. I remember last year when the Patriots took Logan (Instant) Mankins as the 32nd pick and I don?t think anyone can complain about that pick. Well, Slick Nick falls into that same category. He?s not a shiny, fancy car, but he does have four wheel drive and he?ll keep your offense from getting bogged down.

My biggest worry is that he is no longer on the board at our pick
tootalltoscore is offline   Reply With Quote