View Single Post
Old 05-13-2010, 08:41 PM   #12
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296
Default Re: Should the Pens consider trading Malkin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Uh, yeah...that would have been Bryan Trottier. Maybe you've heard of him? Don't think a guy who won 6 Stanley Cups as a player "sucks." BTW, the 4th line center on those teams was Phil Bourque...you know, that guy on the radio with The Legend? So yeah, it's pretty damn important to be strong down the middle if you want to win a Cup. The only difference between those teams and this one is that the wingers didn't suck.

Anyway, how long did Lemieux and Jagr play together? How about Sakic and Forsberg? Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Lidstrom? So it's not out of the realm of possibility that Crosby, Malkin and Staal will be together here for the next 5-10 years.

I suppose that any player can be traded. Even Wayne Gretzky was traded. But the reasoning behind it...nah, sorry. Not buying it. Malkin does not strike me as being so selfish that he'd actually want to be traded just so he can be "the guy." If anything, I think he likes that Sid has all of the spotlight, so that he can just play his game and not have to be the one dealing with the media game in and game out. Look, Geno doesn't have much left to prove to anyone. He's already won a scoring title, led the league in playoff scoring and a Conn Smythe. The latter 2 Crosby has not done yet. Let's not forget that he's also being paid like the elite superstar player that he is. So I highly doubt he's going to be "Mr. Moper" and force a trade in the next 2 years.
That's fine, and that's a reasoned responce.

I'm happy with Malkin, this thread has nothing to do with yesterday's result. I'd have posed the same hypothetical at some point even if the Pens had won another Cup this year.

I'm just wondering how and when this team is going to acquire some quality wingers? And while Trottier was valuable, he wasn't near as valuable as wingers like Mark Rechi, Kevin Stevens, Rick Tochett, Joey Mullen and Jaromir Jagr were to those Cup runs. It's ridiculous that with centers like we have that we don't have one winger that you'd project to a 30 goal season like all of the aforementioned wingers from our old Cup teams annually would project to.

And again you're still ignoring the emerging force that is Jordon Staal. Jordon's improved by leaps and bounds this past season. His play is still ascending, wouldn't you agree? He's arguably a first line center on many teams, is it fair to ask him to continue on in the role of a 3rd line center? Is it the best utilization of available talent?