View Single Post
Old 05-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #37
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296
Default Re: Should the Pens consider trading Malkin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Yeah, I did boo Jagr. Why? Because he deserved it. There was no reason at all for him to say he was "dying alive" when for 3 and a half seasons, he was THE man on the Pens between Mario's first retirement and his comeback. He had his chance to lead the team to a Cup and he couldn't get it done. So you're telling me that for a year and a half, he was so unhappy because Mario was back and getting all of the press, that he forced a trade? No freaking way, and the real reason why he was upset was because he knew the Pens wouldn't be able to pay him what he felt he was worth.

Yeah I know it was all about money with Jaromir. And I'm not saying he and Geno are the same guy. But i will say this. You tell me what signs Jagr showed of being a sulky a-hole prior to the ship hitting the fan? Jagr as a young Penguin was usually among the first players on the ice and the last to leave. He loved the city, and was loved back.

And answer this - if he really was so concerned about being "the man," why then did he basically mail in his performances while he was in Washington? He was "the man" then, and did nothing before being shipped to New York. No, Jagr was an extremely selfish person, so far at the other spectrum from Malkin that they aren't even in the same area code as far as personality goes.

He became selfish, but he wasn't always. And even then I think there was something more at work. Jagr had a gambling habit, think he might have put himself in a bad situation with the wrong people. He really wigged out, I think it was as much to do with some off the ice problems as it was to do with his Penguin situation.

Again, there is absolutely no way any team will give up that much in a trade. None. We're talking about an era where if you want to have long-term success, you need to do it via the draft, because the salary cap prevents teams from attempting to "buy" championship teams every year by signing every big-name free agent they can. Look at how much heat Brian Burke is taking for trading his #1 pick to the Bruins for Phil Kessel, which is going to turn out to be either Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin, depending on who the Oilers prefer. The Bruins' goalie Tuukka Rask was drafted by the Leafs, and was promptly traded to the Bruins for Andrew Raycroft. Oops! (Though admittedly that was their former GM who did that and not Burke.) Burke also gave up a #1 next year too in that Kessel deal. How in the world is a GM supposed to rebuild when he's giving away top-5 draft picks? I can't see any team giving up 4 players, 2 of them being top-line players, plus 2 #1 picks for anyone, even if it was Crosby or Ovechkin. It will not happen. The Pens will never get equal value in any trade for Malkin, plain and simple. Mario isn't stupid - while you may think he's looking for any signs of discontent with Malkin, he also knows the backlash he and Shero will get from the fans if he trades him, and especially if he trades him and gets nowhere near equal value for him. And evidently, you and the author of the story aren't alone, because I read on another board a rumor that the Pens may deal both Malkin and Gonchar to either LA or St. Louis.

There's another angle I hadn't even thought of before. If Gonchar leaves there goes Geno's mentor and friend. Granted he's further along in his career now and doesn't need a baby sitter, but still losing his fellow country man ( if it happens as many speculate it will) could end up eroding Geno's feeling of safe harbor in Pittsburgh.

There's a better chance of me suiting up and playing for the Pens next season than that ever happening.

Yeah right.

Still think this is nothing more than panic because the Pens lost, because apparently they have become the Steelers and have to win the Stanley Cup every year for the fans to be satisfied.
No it's just speculation, that's all. As a sports fan it's something we sometimes do. What's wrong with exercising our inner G.M. every now and again?

And last thing as far as Jagr goes. I didn't appreciate his antics at the end of his stint in Pittsburgh. But his play was so great for so long with our team that I just learned to quickly sweep it under the rug. He truly was a special player, even that last year when he was with the Rangers and he played against us in the playoffs i couldn't help but marvel at his talent. Not that I minded a little the Pens kicking his Rangers ass. But the point is Jaromir was too special of a player and never really that bad of a person that i could truly dislike him.