View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 12:23 PM   #54
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222
Default Re: Should the Pens consider trading Malkin?

I have to say that I'm with Zu on the Jagr issue.

I don't hate the guy. I am severely annoyed by him----or, what he became
Because, let's face it, he was one hell of an amazing player. Watch those vids that Zu posted and tell me you don't remember his magic on the ice.

As far as living in Mario's shadow:
I don't know Jagr, so I don't know how he was feeling at the time.
But, I do know that Jagr had a biography done in which he CLEARLY has nothing but GREAT things to say about Mario (the book was published in 1997---it's a good read, but I realize that Jagr's feelings for Mario may have changed since the book came out).
http://www.amazon.com/Jagr-Autobiogr...4288636&sr=1-3

He came to the US when he was 17----amazingly the Czech Republic allowed this at the time...
He did not know a single person
He did not speak English
He did not have anywhere to live

Until Mario took him in to his own home
And helped to get him English teachers
And taught him about living in the US (something that Mario learned only a few years before that)
And helped him hone his hockey skills
and on and on and on...

Quote:
"Captain Quitter" quit on the Pens so many times over the years...especially in tough situations where your captain is supposed to lead by example. He always put himself before the team...I remember watching a game where he was frustrated by not scoring and refused to go out on the powerplay late in a close game.
Maybe he refused to go out on the PP because he thought the team had a better chance of scoring with someone else, knowing that he was playing poorly that game? It's hard to second-guess someone's motivation (or lack of?) in any particular situation without knowing the whole story. I'm sure you have seen the video on youtube proclaiming that Troy is the biggest a-hole ever and shows him running into a punt receiver waving a "fair catch" sign. Is Troy truly an a-hole? The guy who posted the video thinks so. My point: sometimes we don't know the whole story, and that leads to misperceptions.

Gambling and gambling debts do strange things to a person.
I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I don't like how things turned out, how he acted those last 2 years
but I do like what he did for this team before that.