View Single Post
Old 05-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Best trade(s) worst trade(s) in Pens history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
All but bankrupt? They had already filed for bankruptcy when they traded Jagr for some players and cash at hand. I'm not 100% sure, but I think Mario was still paying Jagr some of his deferred salaries when he was traded lol. That's the only reason I never had much against Jagr. He would have stayed for the right price, but he had stayed for a good bit of time while not getting paid full salary. Pens just couldn't afford to keep him, so they traded him away.
Actually the team was out of bankruptcy by then - they originally filed in 1999. It was the reason why I decided to buy season tickets, because I wanted to support Mario buying the team out of bankruptcy. But the point is still valid - the Pens couldn't afford to pay him, and Jagr knew it, so he forced a trade. I still think Craig Patrick could have gotten a LOT more for him than they did - hell, we could have a blueline right now with both Brooks Orpik and Brendan Witt on it, had Patrick asked for him back then. I know Witt was waived by the Isles and sent to the minors this season, but still...the guy could hit like a ton of bricks.