View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 01:43 PM   #1
stillers4strife
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 400
Default TE Factoids, How important are they, anyway?

After the Steelers drafted Heath Miller, I wondered how much he would be used as a receiving TE v. a blocking TE. Being that he was picked in the 1st round, I figured the Steelers had bigger plans for him than him just being an additional lineman. But that's predominantly what Steeler TE's have been in recent history. So I started to google up info on past Steeler TE's. And I came across this info:

Retrieved from this site: http://maximumgrilledsteelers.com/in...showtopic=2999

1. During the Steelers' 4 Superbowl title runs, the Tight End position accounted for 19.3% of the team's overall recieving yardage.

2. Averaging the Superbowl title runs of all 39 previous winners, the Tight End position accounted for 17.6% of the teams' overall recieving yardage.

3. During Chuck Noll's tenure ('69-'91) as Head Coach, the Tight End position accounted for 13.8% of the team's overall recieving yardage.

4. Since 1969, the Steelers have won 11+ games ten times. During those years, the Tight End position accounted for 13.1% of the team's overall recieving yardage.

5. Since 1969, the Steelers qualified for the playoffs 20 times. During those years, the Tight End position accounted for 13.0% of the team's overall recieving yardage.

6. During Bill Cowher's tenure ('92-present) as Head Coach, the Tight End position accounted for 9.5% of the team's overall recieving yardage.

It shows a pretty good overview of TE's during Noll's era and Cowher's era. Looking back to the time that Eric Green was on the team, the TE accounted for quite a bit of the total receiving yards. What the info. doesn't tell us is TD's and catches/catches for 1st downs which is important info too.