View Single Post
Old 08-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #6
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332
Default Re: Lions at Steelers Pre-Season Week One Gameday Thread

Steelers coach won't say if Ben Roethlisberger will play

Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was in midseason form Thursday, declining to say who would start at quarterback against the visiting Lions on Saturday.

"We're going to make you come to the stadium to find out," he told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Remember, we're talking about a guy who will take, what, 10 or so snaps in a big exhibition game.

The options are Ben Roethlisberger, Byron Leftwich and Dennis Dixon. In fact, Tomlin wouldn't say whether Roethlisberger -- who faces a six-game regular-season suspension for his off-season bad behavior -- will play at all.
Lions 5-11 in Madden

Speaking of pretend football -- like exhibition games -- remember those Internet clips a couple of weeks ago, showing the Lions winning and celebrating the Super Bowl, courtesy of Madden 11?

Well, they're coming back down to earth, even in the video-game world.

EA Sports released its annual Madden 11 simulation of the NFL regular season to ESPN.com, and the Lions went 5-11.

Would that be good enough for you, if it happens in real life, too?
Grandy's slumping

Is Curtis Granderson the Roy Williams of the Yankees? Were they hoodwinked by a sharp-trading Detroit GM?

Granderson was hitting .239 through Wednesday, while his rookie replacement for the Tigers, Austin Jackson, was at .304.

So the slumping Granderson suggested the Yankees shut him down for a couple of days this week while he worked on overhauling his swing with hitting coach Kevin Long.

"He said, 'How much worse can it get?' " Long told the N.Y. Post. "I agreed."

Granderson entered Tuesday's and Wednesday's games as a pinch-runner and defensive replacement while he worked on shortening his swing.

"We are trying to eliminate the moving parts to get to the balance point," Granderson said. "I have been changing swings my whole career."

Maybe the fine-tuning is starting to work. Granderson went 2-for-3 with an RBI in the Yankees' 4-3 win over the Royals on Thursday.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010081...#ixzz0wcrEPQpi
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote