View Single Post
Old 06-08-2005, 03:24 PM   #10
stillers4strife
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 400
Default Re: Jackon in a rush to improve

I'll be very interested to watch how Dedrick Roper performs. He and Nick McNeil were brought in last year as UDFA's. I thought both or either one of those guys could make the team. If my memory serves me correctly, McNeil (from Western Carolina I believe) was cut early. But Roper stuck. Nothing earth-shattering from Roper but he was damn solid. Much better than Zo IMHO. Zo looked awful in the preseason game against the Lions. I think he was running down the field after Charles Rogers at one point. Maybe Zo was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. But with his track record, who is going to believe that.

Roper was cut at some point, signed by the Rams and then cut by the Rams and signed to the practice squad by the Steelers.

I thought Roper did a good job last year, albeit in the preseason. Potentially a hidden treasure, much as Willie Parker appeared to be (in small doses of course).

But to temper enthusiasm about Roper, even if he makes the 53 man roster, he'll probably be inactive most weeks, much like Zo was. That's assuming Zo is the LB cut and Kriewaldt sticks. Sure, there are scenarios to where Roper is active for most weeks but it'll be an uphill battle for Roper. Still, I think he has a bright future ahead of him.
stillers4strife is offline   Reply With Quote