Penguins Report: Training Camp Opens
Friday, 09.17.2010 / 8:00 AM / Penguins Report
By Sam Kasan
"It's a great day for hockey." - "Badger" Bob Johnson
Those famous words of legendary Penguins coach "Badger" Bob ring true once again as the 2010 Pittsburgh Penguins training camp officially began Friday morning.
The players reported for duty at CONSOL (pronounced kun-SAHL, like in consolidated) Energy Center at the crack of dawn to undergo medical evaluations and fitness testing. There will be 57 attendees this season, fighting for a spot on Pittsburgh's roster.
( Click here to download the full training camp roster - PDF)
The Penguins will take the ice for the first-ever practice at CONSOL Energy Center Saturday morning. In fact, the team's Saturday and Sunday practices are open to the public and free of charge. So get down here and take a look at the new team and new building.
Jason Seidling has an in-depth preview of the upcoming camp/season. He has narrowed in on 10 intriguing storylines to keep an eye on throughout camp and the year:
1. The new beefed up defense with Michalek and Martin
2. Possible replacement for Guerin to play wing with Sid
3. Replacing free agent departure Gonchar
4. Opening the season without Staal
5. On establishing a home-ice advantage at CONSOL Energy Center
6. Possible new alternate captain
7. Rested and rejuvinated team
8. Fleury's upcoming campaign
9. Winter Classic
10. Rebounds and Encores
Follow our day-long blog, as we cover the team's first day of camp!!!
Follow this link to see all the pictures, videos and quotables from the first day of camp!